Enriched Family Austin Summer Camp Special Feature: Day and Overnight Camps
This is the fourth and final in a series of posts I wrote on summer camps in the Austin area. Previous posts focused on science and STEM-based camps, arts-based camps, and sports camps. This week's post focuses on a selection of day camps and overnight camps. When I think of day camps, I think of a "classic" camp experience - all around fun, incorporating different structured activities, as well as lots of outdoor activities, and plenty of unstructured time as well - the camps included in this post were selected based on their fit with this camp definition. Overnight camps included meet the day camp definition and have the added benefit of being sleep away camps.
If you ever have suggestions for topics you would like to see Enriched Family cover in a blog post, please send them to hello[at]enrichedfamily.com.
Please note, the following is provided for informational purposes only; the information is accurate and true to the best of my knowledge, but there may be omissions, errors or mistakes, and no guarantees are made.
Details: Since 1971, Camp Doublecreek in Round Rock has featured swimming, horseback riding, all kinds of sports, miniature golf, baby animals, arts and crafts, archery, tennis, tumbling, a playscape, and many other fun games and activities. This is primarily an outdoor-focused camp. I asked camp staff about how they handle it being primarily an outdoor-only camp in the Texas heat and I was told that they have plenty of covered areas and pavilions; there is a lot of shade throughout the grounds; the arts and crafts are done inside; on the hottest days of the summer they play plenty of water games; and they generally focus on reminding the children to stay hydrated. There is also a junior Olympic-sized pool (children are assessed for their swimming level at the beginning of the week and there are liscensed lifeguards). They also have rainy day contingency plans. Open houses are held each Saturday starting the first Saturday in April through the end of camp in August. From 10am to noon.
Camper ages: Four to fourteen. Children are separated by school grades and ages; boys and girls are also separated in the camp.
Camp dates: May 30-August 17
- Weekly theme information here.
Area: North of Austin - Round Rock, 800 Doublecreek Drive (all campers arrive and depart from the campus by bus; camp transportation is available free of charge from 13 locations around Austin)
- $35/week non-refundable deposit per camper per week.
- Horseback riding activity fee is $30/week per camper - limited space available (this is the only activity with an extra cost).
- Children may bring their lunch or lunch can be provided for an additional fee (tuition includes three snacks per day).
*Received the Austin Family Magazine 2017 Readers' Poll Favorites Award for “Overall Fun” in the camps category.*
Camp name: Kidventure Summer Camp
Details: At Kidventure, we know camp! We pride ourselves on providing the safest, most exciting, and memorable day camp experience you will find anywhere. We’ve been running summer camps in Texas for 24 years, and are confident we can offer your family a summer full of fun, learning, and growth. Our goal is to help Austin kids by building positive and rewarding relationships and we accomplish this with our legendary camp team and active camp curriculum! Kidventure provides summer day camp programs at three outstanding locations around the Austin area including the Westlake and Lakeway areas. Southwest Austin.
Camp details by location and age:
- Camp Westlake at Barton Creek Elementary (1370 Patterson Road, Austin) - Discoverers (Ages 3-5 Yrs.) and Explorers (entering Grades 1-6)
- Camp Rough Life at the Highlands Community Center in Rough Hollow, Lakeway (903 Highlands Blvd, Lakeway) - Explorers (entering grades 1-6)
- Camp Sweetwater located at the Club at Sweetwater (5348 Pedernales Summit Pkwy, Austin) - Explorers (entering grades 1-6)
Available dates: June 4-Aug 3 (you can select the weeks you want)
Hours: 9am-3:30pm (pre- and post-camp options available for an additional fee)
Cost: $255 week, plus $35 registration fee; sibling discounts available
*My children have participated in their summer camps for years at the prior Eanes Elementary location and have always enjoyed it.
Camp name: McKinney Roughs Nature Park Camps
Camp details by age:
Outdoor Camp - ages 5-12. Children can attend up to eight weeks of day camp starting June 11. Camp runs weekdays from 9am to 4pm with each week's camp activities revolving around a different outdoor theme.
- Tonkawa Camp (ages 5-6): Tonkawa campers will have the opportunity to swim, climb the rock wall and participate in a camp-wide field day. In addition, there will be guided hikes, field studies, games and activities related to the weekly theme.
- Comanche Camp (ages 7-8): Comanche campers will have the opportunity to swim, experience select high elements on the challenge course and raft the Colorado River or Lake Bastrop. In addition, there will be guided hikes, field studies, games and activities related to the weekly theme.
- Caddo Camp (ages 9-12): Caddo campers will have the opportunity to swim, experience select high elements on the challenge course and raft the Colorado River or Lake Bastrop. In addition, there will be guided hikes, field studies, games and activities related to the weekly theme.
Teen Adventure Camp - ages 13-15. Teens can attend up to two weeks of day camp starting June 11. Camp runs weekdays from 9am to 4pm with each week’s activities revolving around a different outdoor theme.
- Teen Adventure Camp (ages 13-15): Teens will have the opportunity to swim at Bastrop State Park, experience the thrill of high elements and zip line on the challenge course, take a river trip, and work with the group to plan and execute an outdoor adventure.
Extended care available:
- Before Care (available during the weeks of June 25-29 and July 23-27 from 7:30-9am) - $25 per week
- After Care (available during the weeks of June 25-29 and July 23-27 from 4-5:30pm) - $25 per week
Area: McKinney Roughs Nature Park, 1884 Hwy 71 WestCedar Creek, Texas 78612. Optional shuttle service is available for $75 per week from two convenient Austin locations:
- LCRA General Office Complex - 3700 Lake Austin Blvd.
- Pickup: 7:30 a.m. / Drop-off: 5:15 p.m.
- LCRA Dalchau Service Center - 3505 Montopolis Drive
- Pickup: 8:15 a.m. / Drop-off: 4:30 p.m.
- Outdoor Camp and Teen Adventure Camp - $225 per week
- Outdoor Camp - Riding the Roughs: Mountain Biking Basics - $550
Details: Spicewood Country School was established in 1980. Its unique settings, with grazing horses on the grounds, creates the atmosphere of a friendly farm while close to the heart of city life. This is an outdoorsy camp with lots of structured activities. Spicewood campers engage in the following activities: Swimming instruction (a swim assessment is conducted at the outset of the camp; swim lessons and swimming are included in the camp fee); sports and games; arts and crafts; visiting with barnyard animals; horseback riding; music and movement; hiking and fishing; nature experiences; fun "morning yell practice"; and Parent's Night Out on the last Friday of each session (except session 6- see dates below). Facilities include:
- 9 acres of beautiful hill country (tons of oak trees for shade)
- 4,000 square feet of charming classrooms
- Fully equipped, shaded playground and picnic areas
- Fenced swimming pool
- Stables, coral and barnyard pens
- Sports field
- Room to explore and fish on the banks of Bull Creek (the camp backs up to the creek)
- Personnel certified in first aid, CPR, and water safety
Camper ages: 3 1/2 (fully potty trained) to 10 1/2. Campers are divided by age and grade.
Camp dates: Summer sessions are typically two weeks long, Monday-Friday. 2018 session dates are as follows:
- Session 1: June 4–June 15
- Session 2: June 18– June 29
- Session 3: July 2 – July 13 *Closed 4th of July*
- Session 4: July 16 – July 27
- Session 5: July 30-August 10
- Session 6: August 13 – August 17 (one week session)
Hours: 9am-3pm or 7:30am-5:30pm
Area: North Austin (6102 Spicewood Springs Road)
Cost: $810 per two-week session for full day camp (7:30-5:30pm); $670 per two-week session for three-quarter day camp (9am-3pm). Note: Due to 4th of July Holiday, the tuition for session 3 is $729.00 (for full day: 7:30am-5:30pm; $603 for 9am-3pm). Note: Session 6 is one week; the tuition will be $405.00 (for full day: 7:30am-5:30pm; $335 for 9am-3pm). Checks or cash only. On-site registration. Registration and enrollment form here. Parent provides lunch; camp provides snacks. Sibling discount available.
Camp Name: YMCA of Austin Summer Day Camp
Details: YMCA Summer Camps offer children and teens, ages 4-14, a safe, exciting, and memorable day camp experience. Kids have the opportunity to build self-confidence, independence, and creativity, and parents have peace of mind knowing your kids are in a safe and enriching place. At YMCA day camps, campers make friends while learning the values of diversity and cooperation. Our camps are offered throughout the Greater Austin community, so whether you're in Travis, Hays, or Bastrop, we have a positive, fun, and enriching camp atmosphere close by.
Camp details by age and location (note champs operate from 7:30am-6pm):
- Kinder Camp (4 and 5 year olds): Kinder Camp is perfect for children who have not yet attended Kindergarten. Kinder Camp offers age-appropriate field trips, games, crafts, and books which emphasize changing weekly themes. This camp has a little more quiet time with all of the fun and activities of Theme Camp. Previous field trips have included the Thinkery, Dance Unlimited, and Pump It Up.
$178/week for YMCA of Austin members; $213/week for nonmembers
Non-refundable deposit of $15/week per child is required at time of registration
- Themes: Sharks 'n Minnows; A Bug's Life; Wild Things; Petite Picassos; Superheroes; We Can Build It!; Spectacular Science, Treasure Hunters, Little Time Travelers; and Mini Green Thumbs
- Locations: Hays Communities YMCA (map), Bluebonnet Trail Elem. (map), Laurel Mountain Elem. (map), and Baranoff Elem. (map)
- Theme Camp (5-12 year olds): Children will enjoy a different theme each week. Theme Camp will offer kids new experiences mixed with old camp favorites. Campers thrive during various daily activities including organized games, arts and craft projects, exciting field trips, and swimming. Many activities will focus on the YMCA character values of Respect, Responsibility, Honesty, Caring, and Faith. Previous field trips have included the Thinkery, Jumpoline, and the Austin Aquarium.
- $178/week for YMCA of Austin members; $213/week for nonmembers
- Pflugerville & Bastrop Fees: $115/week for YMCA of Austin members; $140/week for nonmembers
- Non-refundable deposit of $15 /week per child is required at time of registration.
- Themes: Artrageous; Beach Bash; Sharks ‘n Minnows; Science Central; Olympiad; Brilliant Botany; Camp's Got Talent; Into the Wild; Texas Pride; and Endless Summer (limited locations).
- Locations: Baranoff Elem. (map), Cowan Elem. (map), Carpenter Hill Elem. (map), Negley Elem. (map), East Communities YMCA (map), Blackshear Elem. (map), Laurel Mountain Elem. (map), St. Paul Lutheran/Upbring (map), Zilker Elem. (map), Concordia HS-Pflugerville (map), Walnut Creek Elem. (formerly listed as north-central) (map), Springs YMCA (map), Bastrop Church of Christ (map), Bluebonnet Trail Elem. (map), and ShadowGlen Elem. (map)
- Adventure Camp (11-14 year olds): Designed for the mature and older school-aged kids, Adventure Camp offers greater opportunity for specific skill development. Most of the day will focus on the weekly topic while also offering a healthy dose of swimming, sports, arts and crafts, and field trips. An extra emphasis will be placed on team building and leadership skills this summer. Previous field trips have included McKinney Falls State Park, Wonder World, South Austin Rock Gym, and Enchanted Rock.
- $205/week for YMCA of Austin members; $240/week for nonmembers
- Fees for Centex Adventures & Get Drenched: $215/week for YMCA of Austin members; $250/week for nonmembers
- Non-refundable deposit of $15/week per child is required at time of registration
- Themes: Centex Adventures; Get Drenched; Survival 101; Move It!; Express Yourself; Cave Dwellers; Challenge Accepted; Curtain Call; Adventure Seekers; and Keeping Austin Weird
- Locations: Dahlstrom Middle (Buda) (map) and Fulmore Middle (map)
Camp name: Camp Champions
Camp details: Camp Champions is a boys and girls overnight summer camp for children ages 5-18 located in the Hill Country of Central Texas. Situated on the shores of Lake LBJ, we enjoy mild afternoon breezes and everyone loves swimming on hot Texas afternoons. The “Four R’s” (Responsibility, Respect, Reaching Out, and Reasonable Risks) are the values that we teach every day at camp through our activities, traditions, and role models. We want our kids to grow into true CHAMPIONS in life - to pursue big dreams and make a difference in the world around them. The Four R’s teach our campers how to live with integrity, get excited about serving others, and do the right thing, even when it’s hard. Numerous camp activities are available - see the camp activity map.
Starter term dates and ages: Our one week starter term is called “Batter Up!” This term is limited to our youngest campers (finishing Kindergarten through 2nd grade) and is meant to be an introduction and a step toward a full term at camp. Batter Up campers run on a modified schedule, but still get to experience many of the activities, the traditions, and the community of camp. We do not offer one week terms for campers finishing 3rd grade and older. Two- and three-week camps are available for children finishing 3rd - 12th grades. See website for details on longer camps.
- Batter Up! weekly sessions: June 10-June 23; July 8-14; and August 5-11
Area: 775 Camp Road, Marble Falls, TX 78654
Camp name: Camp Lantern Creek
Camp details: Tucked away on 100 acres in the piney woods of Montgomery, Texas, Camp Lantern Creek is a unique girls sleep away summer camp that was created so girls can create their art, find their voice, try new skills, be cheered on whether they succeed or fail, get dirty, push boundaries, love nature and so much more. At Camp Lantern Creek, our mission is to focus on helping each girl find her voice, discover her path, learn new life skills, and build emotional strength, all while building life long friendships through the sisterhood with their fellow campers. In this summer home away from home, we create a magical environment where girls learn to try new things, take risks, celebrate both new achievements and great tries. This unique experience builds friendships and new found confidence that campers take with them back home to bolster them for the rest of the year.
Camp session dates and cost:
June 17 - June 29, 2018 | 2 week session | $2400
July 1 - July 13, 2018 | 2 week session | $2400
July 15 - July 22, 2018 | 1 week session | $1400
Area: 4045 N Farm to Market 1486, Montgomery, TX 77356
Camp name: Kidventure Texas Overnight Camps
Camp details: Once you’ve been a Kidventure camper, your life is never quite the same. You’ve had fun and adventure you may have never thought possible. You’ve tried new things and grown to know yourself better. You’ve built strong relationships with your counselors and fellow campers. From all that, you’ve gained skills and created memories that you carry with you for the rest of your life. But most of all, you just can’t wait to do it all again.
For 24 years, Kidventure’s Overnight Camps has been an experience like none other. Now, we’ve expanded our offerings serving our families and their kids from ages 8 to 18. Because the greatest lessons we learn at overnight camp are the ones we take with us for the rest of our lives. Welcome to Kidventure.
Camp details by age:
- Camp Safari - overnight camp for 8-12 year old boys and girls, located in Hunt, Texas. Since 1994, Safari Overnight Camp has been one of the most rewarding and dynamic summer camps in Texas. Our camp mission is simple: provide kids with the opportunities to learn important life lessons through adventure, teamwork and just pure fun! When it comes to overnight camp for our younger campers, there simply isn’t a more rewarding experience out there. *Voted Texas Best Overnight Camp Program - Campsloop.
Safari I: July 16-21, 2018. 6 Days - $1295
Safari II: July 23-28, 2018. 6 Days - $1295
Camp Echo - overnight camp for 13-16 year old boys and girls, located in Rocksprings, Texas. With a focus on outdoor high adventure, teamwork and community service, Echo offers a life-changing experience that your teen will remember forever. Our unique eight day camp provides unlimited opportunity for teens to learn, grow and be a part of a 23 year tradition of excellence and experience.
Echo I: June 16-24, 2018. 9 Days - $1,795
Echo II: June 30-July 8, 2018. 9 Days - $1,795
- Echo III: July 14-July 22, 2018. 9 Days - $1,795
Camp Apex - expedition camp for 17-18 year old boys and girls, located in Lower Pecos River, Texas. Give a young person the opportunity to accomplish great things; in an environment that promotes leadership and courage and great things will happen. We are proud to offer APEX, our new ‘expedition style’ camp for our oldest of campers. With Kidventure guides and counselors, a select group of 12 campers will kayak forty miles of the pristine Pecos River in West Texas.
Apex: Pecos River: July 24-28. 2018. 5 Days - $1,425
Camp name: Rocky River Ranch
Camp details: Located in the heart of the beautiful Texas hill country in Wimberley, Rocky River Ranch has been operating as a private summer camp for girls ages 7-14 since 1953. We are a residential summer camp offering three different session lengths and a wide variety of activities. All campers at Rocky River Ranch have four activity periods each day. The camper chooses the activities she wants to concentrate on for each week and attends the same class at the same time each day. Campers attending a two-week session may choose different activities the second week. Programs are fitted to the child, not the child to the program. All activities are closely supervised by Counselors and Instructors.
- Session 1: June 3-8 (1 week)
- Session 2: June 10-22 (2 weeks)
- Session 3: June 24-July 3 (10 days)
- Session 4: July 8-13 (1 week)
- Session 5: July 15-27 (2 weeks)
- Session 6: July 29-Aug 3 (1 week)
Area: 100 Flite Acres Road, Wimberley, Texas
1-week - $1,075 | 10-day - $1,700 | 2-week - $2,150
Camp details: Get ready for an awesome week of exciting and adventurous fun! Located in the rolling hills of New Braunfels Texas, our Adventure Camp is packed full of a variety of activities that will challenge each camper and create memories for a lifetime. 50 foot swings, canoeing through the rapids, a 450 foot zip line, rock climbing and rappelling, tubing on the river, an overnight campout to Enchanted Rock, low and high ropes activities, paintball, archery, compass courses and campfire, caving, pool party, a dance, Schlitterbahn water park, and much more await to push you to new heights during your week of Adventure Camp! Areas of personal growth will include communication and leadership skills, self-confidence, trust building, goal setting, perseverance, and decision-making skills.
This week long, overnight, co-ed adventure camp is designed for girls and boys ages 9 - 17. Camps begin on Sunday afternoon and conclude on Saturday.
2018 session dates:
- June 3 - June 9
- July 1 - July 7
- July 29 - August 4
Area: 325 Mission Valley Road, New Braunfels, TX 78132
Cost: The cost is $850 per camp week with discounts available.
Camp name: YMCA Twin Lakes Overnight Camp
Area: North, 204 E. Little Elm Trail, Cedar Park, TX 78613
Camp details by session and cost:
- Overnight Camp (weekly sessions): June 10 – July 28
- 6 sessions
- Boys and girls, ages 7-16
- 6 days, Sunday – Friday
- Cabins with Bathrooms and A/C
- Y Family Members: $674
- Non-Members: $749
- Mini Overnight Camp (2 nights): June 6-8, July 1-3 & July 5-7
- 3 sessions
- Boys and girls, ages 7-16
- All the fun as an Overnight Camp, just shorter!
- Y Family Members: $384
- Non-Members: $408
Enriched Family provides custom family-focused research, as well as organizational services. If you ever need help finding the right camps, children's enrichment activities, childcare options, or schools, or need some help with family organization, please reach out! I offer a free, 20-minute initial phone consultation to all new clients to discuss matching your needs and priorities with my services. In addition, I am offering a 15% discount to all new clients through May 2018. Click the "Let's Get Started!" button below to contact me.
Best to you and yours!