Enriched Family Austin Summer Camp Special Feature: Science and STEM
Believe it or not, it is time to start thinking about summer camps. Many camps have already started registering students and fill up quickly. In an effort to make your life easier, I am doing a series of posts highlighting different types of summer camps in the Austin area. Today's post focuses on Science and STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics)/STEAM (STEM + art) camps. Next week's post will feature arts-based summer camps.
Please note, the following is provided for informational purposes only; the information is accurate and true to the best of my knowledge, but there may be omissions, errors or mistakes, and no guarantees are made.
Details: Make the most of the summer break with engaging activities and outdoor explorations. Sign up for ANSC's week-long summer camp sessions. Pack a lunch, a water bottle, and two healthy snacks. Participants should wear weather-appropriate, comfortable clothes and shoes that can get dirty and damp. Participants may register for up to 3 camp sessions. For full day camps, before care and after care is also available for an additional fee of $40 week for residents/$45 non-residents, allowing parents to drop off beginning at 7:15am and pick up at 6pm at the latest. See website for week-by-week camp themes and details.
Camp details by age:
- ANSC Tadpole Camps (Ages 4 & 5) - M-F, half day sessions (8am-12pm or 1-5pm) are offered from 6/11/18-8/17/18. Cost: $157 Austin residents/$182 non-residents. Camp themes include Awesome Animals; Prehistory Mystery; Wonder World; and Wonderful Water.
- ANSC Discovery Camps (Ages 5 & 6) - M-F, full day sessions (8am-5pm) are offered from 6/11/18-8/17/18. Cost: $222 Austin residents/$257 non-residents. Camp themes include Habitat Hunters; Tree Huggers; Water Wiggles; and Wild and Wooly.
- ANSC Nature Camps (Ages 7 & 8) - M-F, full day sessions (8am-5pm) are offered from 6/11/18-8/17/18. Cost: $222 Austin residents/$257 non-residents. Camp themes include Eureka!; H2Oh!; Nature Trackers; and Up, Down, All Around.
- ANSC Adventure Camps (Ages 9 & 10) - M-F, full day sessions (8am-5pm) are offered from 6/11/18-8/17/18. Cost: $257 Austin residents/$292 non-residents. Camp themes include Green Team; Outdoor Explorers; and Water Wise.
- ANSC Explorer Camps (Ages 11 & 12) - M-F, full day sessions (8am-5pm) are offered from 6/11/18-8/17/18. Cost: $257-$282 Austin residents/$292-$322 non-residents.
Area: Central/West, 301 Nature Center Drive (parking at 2389 Stratford Dr)
Contact: Please call (512) 974-3888 for more information.
Details: Explore, learn, and grow at Camp Balcones - Camp Fire's Summer Camp at Emma Long Park! Austin’s premier urban nature and science day camp sparks curiosity and inspires learning in kids ages 6 – 12 years old while preventing summer learning loss. Each week features a nature or science theme in addition to swimming, hiking, games, archery, creative expression, and other fun-filled activities. Camp Balcones has five unique weekly STEM-based themes which incorporate hands-on, project-based activities. Your child will explore nature, identify plants and animals, and have fun with unstructured play in a safe environment with new friends and camp instructors. The 2018 Weekly STEM themes are: Week of Wings; Animal Adaptations; Shark Week; Sky Search; and Camping 101.
Area: NW Austin, Emma Long Park (1600 City Park Rd.); Vans depart from Maplewood Elementary, Bowie and Northwest Recreation Center.
Available dates: Camp Balcones runs for 10 weeks during the summer, beginning on June 4, 2018.
Camper ages: Ages 6 - 12 (young campers must have completed Kindergarten).
Hours: Monday through Friday, from 8am to 5pm. Vans pick up at Maplewood Elementary at 8:00am and at Northwest Recreation Center at 8:45am. Vans drop off at Maplewood Elementary at 5:30pm and at Northwest Recreation Center at 4:30pm.
Cost: $350 per week
Contact: Please call Camp Fire at 512-349-2111 to learn more.
Camp name: Camp Einstien Summer Camps
Details: At Camp Einstein, our mission has and will always be simple... To provide a fascinating experience that sparks curiosity in the sciences and engineering fields! Camps will be offered on a variety of topics, such as green engineering, CSI forensics, explosive science, engineering inventions and innovations, and Lego masterminds.
Area: Camps will be held at various locations, including St. Andrew's Episcopal School (SW), Lake Travis ISD (SW), Round Rock ISD (NW), and St. Gabriel's Catholic School (North and SW).
Available dates: Week-long camps will run from June 4 - July 27 (check website for camp dates for specific grade levels). Note: Many locations' enrollment will not open until early March.
Camper ages: Camps are offered for different ages at each camp location, but the overall grade range is Pre-K to 5th.
Hours: Monday through Friday, most camps are half day programs, offering a morning and afternoon session (e.g. 9am-noon and 1-4pm), but some programs run from 9am-3pm or 9am-4pm. Some locations offer extended day care, as well as a supervised lunch option for children registered in both morning and afternoon sessions. Check the specific location website for details.
Cost: Price varies per location and some have not listed prices yet (some programs list half day programs at $175).
Contact: Please contact Catherine Sutton at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Details: In the Fast Forward summer camp, your child will become a Robotic Pet Vet™ using tools, circuitry, biology and physiology to take apart and diagnose puppy problems. Campers then celebrate the homecoming of their customized robotic pet as they demonstrate design engineering concepts in the construction of a new dog park attraction! In Mod My Mini Mansion™ your child will dream up and design their very own futuristic smart home filled with gadgets, LEDs and technology – from exploring renewable sources to binary coding, this take-home mini mansion will make architecture concepts unforgettable! Campers will launch into the future with their very own Optibot™ – a small self-driving bot that senses change in light, as children go on an exploration adventure fueled by aerial, aquatic and land transportation technology! Daily challenges will inspire your young innovator to Stick To It™ using collaboration, discovery and invention prototyping to solve real world issues. Whether it’s through the lens of a physicist, engineer or entrepreneur, campers explore chemistry with magnetic slime, trajectory in a catapult challenge, and the exciting testing of mechanical gears and their robotic arm creations!
Details by location:
- 6/4/2018 - 6/8/2018 (9am-3:30pm), Casis Elementary School - Camp Invention (2710 Exposition Road, Austin), children entering K through 6 grades. Cost: $270
- 6/4/2018 - 6/7/2018 (4 days; 8am-4pm), Kathy Caraway Elementary School - Camp Invention (11104 Oak View Drive, Austin), children entering K through 6. Cost: $260
- 6/18/2018 - 6/22/2018 (8:30am-3pm), Caldwell Elementary School - Camp Invention (1718 Picadilly Drive, Round Rock), children entering K through 6. Cost: $250
- 6/5/2018 - 6/8/2018 (4 days; 8am-4pm), England Elementary School - Camp Invention (8801 Pearson Ranch Road, Austin), entering K through 6. Cost: $260
- 6/18/2018 - 6/22/2018 (9am-3:30pm), Ronald Reagan Elementary School - WK 1 - Fast Forward (1700 East Park Street, Cedar Park), entering K through 6. Cost: $250
- Additional camps will be offered in Buda, Cedar Park, Round Rock, and Hutto, TX. See website for details.
Contact: Call 800-968-4332 for more information.
Camp name: Fun 2 Learn Code Summer Camps
Details: Fun 2 Learn Code offers coding classes and day camps for children and teens in the Austin area to learn the fundamentals of computer programming. We strive to make technology fun and engaging for children, and we strongly believe that as children are learning to code, they are also coding to learn – to solve problems, to express themselves creatively, to work in collaboration with others, and to communicate their ideas.
Area: Camps will be held at various locations. See details below.
- Round Rock: Fun 2 Learn Code, 301 Hesters Crossing, Suite 120. Week-long camps will run from June 4 - August 17. Ages 7-11 and 10+. Camp sessions include Minecraft, Scratch, Kodu, Unity, Python, and STEAM.
- Central Austin: Toybrary, 2001 Justin Ln. Week-long camps will run the week of June 4, June 18, July 9, and July 30. Ages 7-11 and 10-14. Camp sessions include Minecraft, Scratch, Kodu, Unity, Python, and STEAM.
- South Austin: Del Sol Yoga & Kung Fu, 11190 Circle Dr. #103. Week-long camps will run the week of July 16. Age 7-11. Camp sessions include Minecraft and Scratch.
Camper ages: Camps are offered for different age groups at each camp location, but the overall age range is 7-17 years old.
Hours: Monday through Friday, full and half day programs are available, offering morning and afternoon sessions (e.g. 9am-noon and 1-4pm; campers attending both sessions will have lunch at the site as well). Early drop-off (8:00 AM – 9:00 AM) and late pick-up (4:00 PM – 5:00 PM) are available at the Round Rock location only.
Cost: Price varies per location and type of class. See website for details (Round Rock half day sessions range from $160-$225+, *there are some early registration discounts offered before the end of February).
Contact: 512-900-8380 or info [at] fun2learncode [dot] com
Camp name: Girlstart STEM Summer Camps
Details: Recently recognized by Change the Equation as one of four exemplary STEM education programs in America, Girlstart’s Summer Camp programs have consistently received national recognition. All Girlstart camps include a balance of hands-on STEM activities, relevant technology, collaborative team building, and informal camp fun!
Area: North, Girlstart STEM Center, 1400 W. Anderson Lane
Available dates: Week-long STEM camps will run from June 4 - July 27 (check website for camp dates for specific grade levels).
Camper ages: Girls entering 4th-8th grades in 2018-2019 (Regular [4th-5th grades] and Junior camps [6th-8th grades] run simultaneously during the summer and are held in separate activity spaces).
Hours: Monday through Friday, from 8:30am to 4:30pm each day (you may drop off anytime between 8:00am and 8:30am; pick up is anytime between 4:30pm-5:00pm)
Cost: The full price is $350 per camp. Registration closes for all camps Friday, May 25, 2018. Girlstart offers two price breaks for early registration:
January 8th – January 29th: $300; January 30th – February 19th: $325; February 20th – May 25th: $350 (full price).
Contact: Please email email@example.com or call 512-916-4775 ext. 33 if you have any questions.
Camp name: Idea Lab Camps: Rock Your Grey Matter!
Details: Idea Lab provides camps ranging from Cooking School, Robotics, 3D Art, Engineering, and Science. At Idea Lab Rock Your Grey Matter Summer Missions, campers learn through inquisitive hands-on activities utilizing Science, Math, Critical thinking Skills and a great deal of imagination! At Idea Lab Summer Camps, your child can experience a tremendous range of enrichment activities varying week to week.
Area: Camps will be held at various locations, including:
- St Andrews Episcopal (1112 West 31st St., Austin)
- Stiener Ranch (12550 Country Trails Ln., Austin)
- Cedar Park Montessori (400 E. Whitestone Blvd., Cedar Park)
- Magellan International School (7983 Great Northern Blvd., Austin)
- Sapienti Montessori School (1220 Cottonwood Creek Trail, Cedar Park)
- St. Austin School (1911 San Antonio St., Austin)
- Lake Pointe Community Center (11700 Sonoma Dr., Austin)
- Idea Lab Campus (1818 Lakeshore Blvd., Austin) - Coming soon
Available dates: Week-long half- and full-day (9am-3pm) STEAM camps for elementary students (Kinder-6th grade) will run from early-to-mid June until early-to-mid August (check website for camp dates, sessions, and locations for specific ages). Two week, full-day (9am-3pm) STEAM camps are also available for middle school and high school campers.
Camper ages: Camps are offered for different age groups at each camp location, but the overall age range is Kinder-High School.
Hours: Monday through Friday, half day and full day programs are available, offering morning and afternoon sessions (e.g. "full day" sessions run from 9am-3pm). Extended day options are not currently available.
Cost: Price varies per location and type of session; some locations have not listed prices yet (9am-3pm sessions ranged from $225-$260+ per week).
Contact: Adam Gockley at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Camp name: Mad Science Summer Camps
Details: Mad Science camps are designed for exciting, fun hands-on science activities. Your child will become a junior scientist for the week, having the opportunity to experience a variety of science adventures. We use an inquiry-based technique that allows even the youngest camper to enjoy learning. Weekly camp themes:
- Science Explorations
- Moving With Science
- Rockin Rockets
- Wings and Things
- Spy Academy
- Camp Eureka!
Complete descriptions of the weeklong summer camps are available here.
Area: Camps are held at a wide variety of locations across Austin. Click here for a map of all Austin area locations.
Available dates: Various dates, depending on location of camp. See registration page for the list of camp details by location.
Camper ages: 6-12 (there is one camp option - Camp No. 6 - for preschoolers, ages 4-6).
Hours: Monday to Friday, half (morning or afternoon session) and full day camps (9am-4pm) are available. Extended day options are also available for full day camps. Drop off your child as early as 8:00 a.m. for no additional charge, and arrange late pick up as late as 6:00 p.m. The late pick up option costs an additional $75 per week per child.
Cost: $290/week for most full day camps; half day camps are $180.
Contact: 512-892-1143 or email@example.com
*Received the Austin Family Magazine 2017 Readers' Poll Favorites Award for “Favorite Place to Learn Math and Science”
Camp name: Snapology Austin, STEAM-focused Lego camps
Details: Snapology Austin provides a fun and safe environment for children ages 4-14 to learn math, science, technology, engineering, art and literacy concepts using LEGO® bricks and other building tools. Summer camps will take place at locations across Austin.
Camp Details by Location:
- Austin Christian Fellowship (West Austin; 6401 River Place Blvd); week-long camps offered for ages 4-9 the weeks of 6/11, 6/25, 7/16, 7/23, 7/30, 8/6 (ages 6-14), and 8/13; Camp themes for ages 4-9 include STEAM Machines; Cartoon Creations; Planes, Trains & Automobiles; Star Wars; Superheroes and Disney Imagineering; WeDo 2.0 Robotics (ages 6-12); Minifigure Adventures; Scientists; and Stop Motion Animation (ages 7-14).
- Circle C Community Center (South Austin; 7817 La Crosse Ave); week-long camps offered for ages 4-9 the weeks of 6/4, 6/11, 6/18, 6/25, 7/9, 7/16, 7/23, 7/30, 8/6 (ages 5-9)and 8/13. Camp themes for ages 4-9 include STEAM Machines; Cartoon Creations; Planes, Trains & Automobiles; Star Wars; Superheroes and Disney Imagineering; Gamebots Robotics (ages 5-9); Minifigure Adventures; and Lego Scientists. Week-long camps offered for ages 6-14 the weeks of 6/4 (ages 7-12 and 8-12), 6/11 (ages 7-12), 6/18 (ages 8-12), 6/25 (ages 8-14), 7/9 (ages 7-14 and 8-14), 7/16 (ages 7-12), 7/23 (ages 8-14), 7/30 (ages 7-14 and 8-14), 8/6 (ages 7-14), and 8/13 (ages 8-14). Camp themes include Gamebots Robotics; Intro to Scratch Programming; 2.0 Robotics; Stop Motion Animation; et cetera.
- Northwest Hills United Methodist Church (North Austin; 7050 Village Center Dr); week-long camps offered for ages 4-12 the weeks of 6/4 (ages 7-12), 6/11 (ages 4-9), 6/18 (ages 4-9), 6/25 (ages 7-12 and 8-14), 7/9 (ages 4-9), 7/16 (ages 4-9), 7/23 (ages 6-12), 7/30 (ages 4-9), 8/6 (ages 4-9), and 8/13 (ages 6-12 and 7-12). Camp themes for ages 4-9 include Cartoon Creations; Planes, Trains & Automobiles; Star Wars; Superheroes and Disney Imagineering; Gamebots Robotics (ages 7-12); Stop Motion Animation (ages 7-12); Scratch Programming (ages 7-12 and 8-14); Minifigure Adventures; Lego Scientists, et cetera.
- Snapology Discovery Center (South Austin; 1910 Fort View Rd.); week-long camps offered for ages 4-9 the weeks of 6/4, 6/11, 6/18, 6/25, 7/9, 7/16, 7/23, 7/30, 8/6, and 8/13. Camp themes for ages 4-9 include STEAM Machines; Cartoon Creations; Planes, Trains & Automobiles; Star Wars; Superheroes and Disney Imagineering; Minifigure Adventures; and Lego Scientists. Week-long camps offered for ages 6-14 the weeks of 6/4 (ages 6-12), 6/11 (ages 7-12 and 8-12), 6/18 (ages 6-12 and 7-14), 6/25 (ages 8-14), 7/9 (ages 7-14 and 8-14), 7/16 (ages 8-12 and 8-14), 7/23 (ages 6-12), 7/30 (ages 7-14 and 8-14), 8/6 (ages 6-12), and 8/13 (ages 7-12 and 8-12). Camp themes include Gamebots Robotics; Intro to Scratch Programming; WeDo 2.0 Robotics; Star Wars; Engineering; Stop Motion Animation; et cetera.
- West Austin Youth Association (Central Austin; 1314 Exposition Blvd); week-long camps offered for ages 4-9 the week of 8/13. Camp themes include Star Wars and Minifigure Adventures.
Hours: Monday to Friday, 9am-4:00pm (with extended day and supervised lunch included, the day runs from 8:30am to 5pm)
Cost: Most half day sessions are $175-$185 ($350-370 total for the full, regular day from 9am-4pm). A $50 deposit is required for each camp at the time of enrollment. Deposits are non-refundable. 8:30am drop off is available for an additional $25 per week. 5:00pm pick up is available for an additional $50 per week.
Contact: Call 512-368-9090 for more information.
*Received the Nurture My Child 2014-2017 Best of Camp Award for "Best Computer/Robotics Camp"
Camp name: Thinkery Summer Camps
Details: Thinkery Camp programs provide a creative, safe and challenging environment for campers to expand their problem solving potential—and have a whole lot of fun! In each weeklong camp, Pre-K–5th grade campers engage in playful learning experiences and develop critical thinking skills in a collaborative environment. Thinkery Camps offer hands-on activities in science, technology, engineering, art and math (STEAM) as a platform for innovation. Each weeklong program offers a variety of fun mental and physical challenges that activate campers’ creativity. Campers answer their questions of “how” and “why” through immersive, interactive learning experiences designed to keep them exploring, creating and moving.
Camp details by location:
- Thinkery Camps at Meredith Learning Lab (home campus-East/Central Austin; 1830 Simond Ave); week-long camps offered for PreK-5th grade from June 4 - August 17, 2018. Camp themes include Think Austin; Engineering with Sound; Once Upon a Design; Secret Agent Robot; Up, Up and Away; RoboCircus; and Medieval Minecraft.
- Thinkery Camps at National Instruments (North/West Austin; 11500 N. Mopac Expy); week-long camps offered for 1st-2nd and 3rd-5th grades from June 4 - August 17, 2018. Camp themes include Think Austin; Secret Agent Robot; RoboCircus; and Medieval Minecraft.
- Thinkery Camps at The Magellan International School (North/West Austin; 7938 Great Northern Blvd.); week-long camps offered for 1st-2nd and 3rd-5th grades from July 2 - July 27, 2018. Camp themes include Secret Agent Robot; RoboCircus; Engineering with Sound; and Once Upon a Design.
- Thinkery Camps at International School of Texas (West Austin; 4402 Hudson Bend Rd.); week-long camps offered for PreK-5th grade from June 11 - June 29, 2018. Camp themes include Think Austin; Engineering with Sound; and Once Upon a Design.
- Thinkery Camps at Emergent Academy (South/West Austin; 1044 Liberty Park Dr.); week-long camps offered for PreK-5th grade from July 30 - August 17, 2018. Camp themes include Think Austin; Engineering with Sound; and Up, Up and Away.
Hours: M-F, 9 am-4 pm (extended day available from 8–9am and 4–5:30pm for an additional fee of $50 per week. Thinkery Extended Care is available at Thinkery, International School of Texas, The Magellan International School and Emergent Academy. Extended Care is not offered for camps hosted at National Instruments).
Cost: For each week-long camp, the Pre-K–K cost is $350 member/$385 general public; 1st–2nd and 3rd–5th grades is $330 member/$365 general public.
Contact: Amy Wiggin, firstname.lastname@example.org or 512-469-6223.
*Received the Austin Family Magazine 2017 Readers' Poll Favorites Award for “Robotics” camp
P.S. There is a cool, related upcoming event (free and educational): Girl Day at UT Austin, February 24th, 2018 from 11:30am-5pm.
The Women in Engineering Program (WEP) at the UT Cockrell School of Engineering partners with multiple organizations to ensure the success of Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day each year. This year's event will be held February 24th, 2018 from 11:30am to 5pm. Girl Day at UT Austin, including Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day presented by Halliburton and the Girl Day STEM Festival presented by Texas Instruments, is a free event for K-8 students held on the Cockrell School of Engineering and Natural Sciences complexes on on The University of Texas at Austin campus. Over 8,000 students are expected to participate in over 150 free-flowing hands-on activities and demonstrations hosted by volunteers, student organizations, corporate partners and community organizations. Students get the chance to explore engineering, science, math, and technology at their own pace throughout the event. Girls and boys are welcome!
Enriched Family provides custom family-focused research and organizational services. If you ever need help finding the right camps, children's enrichment activities, childcare options, or schools, or need some help with family organization, please reach out! I offer a free, 20-minute initial phone consultation to all new clients to discuss matching your needs and priorities with my services. In addition, I am offering a 15% discount to all new clients through March 2018. Click the "Let's Get Started!" button at the upper-right corner of this page to contact me.
Best to you and yours!