Austin Summer Fun Ideas
Hi all! Summer and extra hot weather will soon be upon us. This blog post focuses on a compilation of fun Austin area activities to keep you and your family busy (and hopefully sometimes cool) all summer long. Think swimming spots, splash pads, free museum days, kids eat free days, movie days, library days, family service activities, and so on.
Cool Down at the Movies
Event: Alamo for All
Details: Welcome to Alamo for All - a movie program for young families and guests with special needs. All shows starting before 2pm on Tuesdays follow Alamo for All rules, with more shows on the weekends at Lakeline and Slaughter Lane theaters. Schedule may vary during holidays. At sensory-friendly Alamo for All shows:
- Lights are turned up and sound is turned down
- All ages are welcome (including infants)
- Talking and noise is allowed and guests can move around
- Latecomers are admitted
- Adaptive technology is welcome (but no other electronics, please)
When: All shows starting before 2pm on Tuesdays at various theaters, with more shows on the weekends at Lakeline and Slaughter Lane.
Where: Various Alamo Theaters, check out some top movie picks for kids here.
Event: Movies in the Park
Details: Movies in the Park is a series of free films brought to you by the Austin Parks Foundation (APF) in partnership with Alamo Drafthouse and presented by Whole Foods Market. Each year, APF and the Drafthouse bring you free movies in parks all over Austin. Check out the 2018 series schedule here. Bring your blanket or lawn chairs (and don’t forget a picnic!) for a fun and relaxing evening under the beautiful Austin night sky. Dogs, on-leash, are welcome. Alcoholic beverages, glass and styrofoam are not permitted in the park. We do provide recycling bins, but ask that you help us out by packing out all of your own trash. Smoking is also prohibited in the park, per city law.
Delight in Area Swimming Holes, Pools, and Splash Pads
Austin has an abundance of swimming holes, pools, and splash pads. Check out:
- Austin360's list of the "Best Swimming Holes in Central Texas"
- Austin Local's list of "38 of the Best Swimming Holes in Austin"
- Austin Moms Blog's list of "25 Best Splash Pads In And Around Austin"
- Do512 Family's list of "Awesome Pools & Splash Pads Around Austin"
- Do512 Family's list of City of Austin Splash Pads
Enjoy Kids Eat Free Days at Area Restaurants
A wide variety of local restaurants offer special deals certain days of the week when kids eat free. D0512 Family and Free Fun in Austin have compiled great lists of restaurant options where kids can eat free almost every day of the week:
Explore Area Museums on Free Days
- Check out Do512 Family's great list of free times to visit Austin museums.
Participate in Local Library Excursions and Events
Local libraries are not only cool and relaxing spots to while away some summer hours, they also often offer a host of events and programming during the summer months. Check out some of the options at these local libraries:
- The Austin Public Library system is part of the City of Austin and includes the new Central Library and twenty other local library branches. Search the City of Austin Public Libraries' online calendar by location to view the monthly calendar of events at your local library branch. For a list of local library branches and hours, click here.
Other Austin area libraries:
Bee Cave Public Library - Monthly Event Calendar
Buda Public Library - Upcoming Events Calendar
Cedar Park Public Library - Monthly Events List
Dripping Springs Community Library - Library Events
Georgetown Public Library - Library Events Calendar
Kyle Public Library - Library Calendar
Leander Public Library - Calendar of Events
Pflugerville Public Library - Event Calendar
Round Rock Public Library - Library Events
San Marcos Public Library - Calendar
Westbank Community Library and Laura Bush Community Library in SW Austin - Calendar of Activities
Visit Austin's Amazing Parks
Austin has 300+ parks. Get out there and explore them! Early morning explorations are a great way to beat the heat.
- Use the Austin Parks Foundation online database to search for new parks to explore with your family: "Enter a park name, event or amenity and we’ll show you what Austin has to offer."
Visit Local Restaurants with Playgrounds
- Want the kids to burn off some steam and enjoy family dinner? Check out Free Fun in Austin's list of favorite restaurants with playgrounds.
Volunteer as a Family
We love our community here in Austin. Show your children the joy of spending time together while giving back by participating in a family service activity through Generation SERVE, a local nonprofit organization whose mission is to "engage children in volunteerism and empower them to make a difference in their communities." Through the Generation SERVE Family Volunteering Program, families with children as young as 3 years old can volunteer together at family service activities. The volunteer work Generation SERVE organizes supports 100 local nonprofit partners. More information is available on the Family Volunteering FAQ page. Register your family here to participate in a family service activity.
Happy exploring Austin's many offerings with your families! Please feel free to send us local kid's and family events to hello[at]enrichedfamily.com, and please feel free to share these posts with your friends. Also, Happy Mother's Day to all the mamas out there. May you have lots of fun, plenty of sleep, and loads of relaxation!
Enriched Family is dedicated to providing parents with the information, tools, and systems they need to organize their families and thrive. Enriched Family provides custom family-focused research, as well as organizational services. If you ever need help finding the right camps, children's enrichment activities, childcare options, or schools, or need some help with family organization, please reach out! I offer a free, 20-minute initial phone consultation to all new clients to discuss matching your needs and priorities with my services. In addition, I am offering a 15% discount to all new clients through May 2018. I invite you to check out our services and click the "Let's Get Started!" button below to contact me.